Wednesday, June 13, 2007



ON THE LOT
Episode 6

So Trever’s sent home. If you’ve been reading my On The Lot reactions, you’ll know that decision doesn’t sit well with me. It really isn’t anything personal against Hilary, but her films just haven’t made any sort of positive impression on me. I hope she sees this as dodging yet another bullet and somehow, pulls a good one out of the bag in the next challenge.
Adrianna also neglected to mention which of last week’s shorts was Box Office Champ, which left me a tad miffed.

As for tonight’s batch of five shorts, as I don’t really have an Un-Favorite this time out, we’ll just go from my Favorite to my Least Favorite, and top it off with a Special Mention.

MY FAVORITE: Marty Martin’s “Dance With The Devil”
Yeah, the style does threaten to overwhelm (and I’m not 100% sold on the text appearing onscreen; a little too Tony Scott’s Man On Fire, where Scott just ODs his audience with gobbets of over-indulgent and headache-inducing style), and the characters are rather one-dimensional, and the confidence-always-threatening-to-spill-over-into-arrogance doesn’t really help either, but this one definitely looked the best, and was absorbing.
But dude, try not to be too defensive with the judges.
(And while on the subject of Tony Scott, wasn’t his BMW short titled “Beat The Devil”? Just wondering out loud…)

Andrew Hunt’s “Polished”
The office pariah, the janitor, takes vengeance on his co-workers with some floor wax and hamburgers.
Funny, yeah, but the pay-off doesn’t quite make up for the lengthy build-up.
(In Andrew’s defense, he did direct this short while in the midst of wedding preparations, so he was multi-tasking…)

David May’s “Love At First Shot”
A cellphone-carrying Cupid helps out with some geek love.
Again, funny, but like “Polished,” the pacing leaves something to be desired. (To its credit though, it was funnier than David’s previous effort, “File Size.”)

MY LEAST FAVORITE: Shira-Lee Shalit’s “Beeline”
A single mother does her darnedest to keep her sex life a secret from her extortionist son.
Two out of three judges liked this one, but it just didn’t rev my engine. And please note, it’s not an Un-Favorite, so I didn’t hate it; it’s just the one that left the least impression on me.

SPECIAL MENTION: Kenny Luby’s “Edge On The End”
It would’ve been so easy to just say this was my Un-Favorite, but it would’ve been for the wrong reasons.
In this one, a young man turns to alcohol to ease the sting of grief at the passing of his father.
A dramatic enough premise, but Kenny chooses to execute it in an experimental short film/music video style that makes actually accessing honest emotion a little difficult. So much so that when the epiphany comes and the grief-stricken young man turns his back on the bottle, I didn’t feel the catharsis.
But it by no means is a bad short film; it just doesn’t seem to quite fit in with the rest of the shorts.
There’s a place for a Kenny Luby in the film world, but that place may not necessarily be On The Lot

Having said that, it sounds like I think Kenny should be sent home from this batch, and that’s definitely not the case. The competition’s that much more interesting with Kenny—I think of him as the anti-Marty—in it.
Given that “Beeline” was my Least Favorite, I’d then have to say I think Shari-Lee should go home, though if the judges’ words have any weight with the voting public, she’s probably safe. And to be fair, “Beeline” isn’t bad; it’s just not my speed.
Which should make next week’s eliminations pretty interesting…

Tonight’s guest judge, director of The Devil Wears Prada and the Entourage pilot, as well as Season 1 episode, “The Scene,” David Frankel. (Frankel's also done some Sex and the City and a couple of Band of Brothers. Heh. That sounds funny, doesn't it?)

(Contestant image courtesy of thelot.com; David Frankel image on the set of The Devil Wears Prada, courtesy of movies.yahoo.com.)

No comments: