Sunday, October 19, 2008


I did this first quite a while back, compiled a list of the best and most recent horror movies I’d seen. I always meant to do it again, on a regular basis, but never quite got around to it.
Now though, I’d like to change that.

To commemorate Halloween ’08, here’s a baker’s dozen of the most effective horror titles in recent years, one a day, till we get to October 31.
Note that since what’s key here is most recent, this is in no way a countdown towards the best contemporary horror movie. As we get closer to Halloween, we’ll just be moving forward in time, till we reach the most recent noteworthy horror film I’ve had the opportunity to see and review here at the Iguana. (Dates indicated are the film’s official premiere, as per imdb.com.)

I should also point out that I’ve yet to see some key foreign language horror entries that have generated a fair amount of buzz in the past months, including Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza’s [REC], Tomas Alfredson‘s Lat den ratte komma in (Let The Right One In), and Ole Bornedal’s Vikaren (The Substitute).
It’s entirely possible that this list would look a tad different if I had. (At any rate, there’s always next year’s list.)

For now though, here’s #1…


A Rundown of the 13 Best, Most Recent Horror Movies I’ve Seen
[1 of 13]
THE LAST WINTER (September 2006)



The Last Winter (co-written, produced, edited, and directed by Larry Fessenden) is an absorbing piece of environmental horror that paints a sinister portrait of nature turned vicious, as it strikes back at the species that has systematically plundered it for its resources, unmindful of the consequences.

Read the entire review here.

(The Last Winter OS courtesy of impawards.com.)

No comments: